[OpenLayers-Dev] Spending Sponsorship Money

John R. Frank john.frank at metacarta.com
Thu Oct 23 07:08:18 EDT 2008

> [1] http://trac.openlayers.org/wiki/Sponsorship/Uses

I like the idea of Marketing Materials because it implies a strategic goal
of marketing, such as achieving market share or reaching new target
audiences.  Rather than listing t-shirts, handouts, and case studies as
the top items in this list, I think it would be helpful to identify the
goal of these materials as overarching uses of funds.

A benefit of identifying goals for funds is that, if properly selected,
they enable the project to point to achievements enabled by sponsorship
dollars.  It's tough to raise money when past money was spent merely on
t-shirts;  it's much easier to raise money when past money "enabled the
project to achieve __strategic_goal___" (the implementation of which
happened to have involved t-shirts).

Another benefit of having "goals for funds" is that it makes it much
easier for the governing body (in this case, the PSC) to make rational
choices between alternative implementations of achieving the goal --- this
is especially important in non-profit organizations where cash is in short
supply and financial profits are not present to provide a similar filter.

Here are some candidates that I'm making up off the top of my head.

Please critique:

  * enable OpenLayers to boost new user counts to XX or by XX percent

  * enable OpenLayers to reach developers in ___ region that needs OL

  * enable OpenLayers to reduce the cost of diving into the OL code base as
measured by number of new developers actively buildinig code in sandboxes

  * enable OpenLayers to obtain press coverage in the ___ market's key
journals (__, __, and ___)

  * enable OpenLayers to expand its developer outreach to more "developer
hotspots" as measured by the number of new Code Bunker Leaders starting
code bunker series in cities where no code bunker has happened before.

... I'm sure there are more that somebody will come up with :-)

> already off to a very good start.

Indeed.  Great work!

jrf