[OpenLayers-Dev] Super impressed with your workshop

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Fri Oct 31 04:53:48 EDT 2008

On Fri, Oct 31, 2008 at 01:36:55PM +1100, Cameron Shorter wrote:
> Hi Tim,
> I'm very impressed that you have created an Openlayers workshop and that
> you have made it available under the Creative Commons license.
>
> I see training material like this as taking the professionalism of a
> project up another level, and providing this material for free will
> empower local communities to build OSGeo locally. I hope to see other
> Open Source projects take your lead and build up a comprehensive set of
> open workshops for the full Geospatial Open Source stack.
>
> Have you been in touch with the OSGeo Education committee?
> I wonder whether it would be appropriate to have a coordinated look and
> feel to all the OSGeo workshop material.
> (In particular, I have my eye on the FOSS4G 2009 workshops.)

I think that it's important to allow organizations to 'brand' their
owwrkshop materials. I thin kthat this branding provides a significant
benefit -- and therefore, reason for creating documentation in the first
place -- to organizations, since they get to carry on benefiting from
the workshop materials even after the workshop is over. (For example,
I'm using a slightly modified form of the workshop materials for FOSS4G
in Japan -- with OpenGeo's brand staying on it).