[OpenLayers-Dev] Canvas for Safari?...instead of SVG and iphone?

Lance Dyas lancelot at inetnebr.com
Thu Sep 4 09:36:35 EDT 2008

Lance Dyas wrote:
> Christopher Schmidt wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Sep 03, 2008 at 08:55:27AM -0500, Lance Dyas wrote:
>>

>>> I am just wondering how close the canvas renderer for safari is to being
>>> ready
>>>

>> I don't know, how much more ready than "Checked into trunk with
>> examples, tests, etc." do you want?
>>

> Great is there special effort required to use it for the iphone
> environment when using
> a GML
>

>>> actually at one point OpenLayers vector rendering via SVG worked in Safari..
>>> but Safari is a moving target and it quit doing so ... (I think
>>> dynamically added
>>> SVG elements fail to render, ones read and parsed from doc directly work)
>>>

>> Er, SVG works fine in Safari. I've been using it regularly. (And by
>> regularly, I mean 'daily'.) Why do you think it fails?
>>

> The WMS has changed for this layer.. but
> http://www.microimages.com/ogc/maps/nebraskaopen.htm#lat=40.83126&lon=-102.20917&zoom=2
>
> This is not the latest version of OpenLayers in use.. but rather.
>
> Revision: 5438

Actually I am already in the process of adapting to use a recent build
and since I see the examples in it do work
It may have been a temporary issue.... but It literally fails to detect
that the browser is supporting SVG... (If
I override and tell it to go ahead and try to use svg, Safari doesnt
render the svg.)