[OpenLayers-Dev] Gallery, FAQ Spam

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Fri Sep 19 22:25:06 EDT 2008

All,

The OpenLayers Gallery and FAQ were receiving significant amounts of
spam. I just went through and wrote code that will add recaptchas to any
editing of the FAQ or Gallery. I'm pretty sure this will slow the
spammers down significantly; recaptcha tends to be pretty good at that,
in my experience.

For the technically interested,

  http://svn.openlayers.org/project/gallery.openlayers.org/openlayers/djangorecaptcha.py

Defines a RecaptchaField that can be used in any newforms-using Django
application. I don't know how much desire there would be to republish
this in a different form, but it's pretty cool: makes adding recaptchas
as easy as defining a single extra item on your forms.Form in Django.

If this fails to capture spam, the next step is to require logins via
something like OpenID, but I'm hoping that we can skip that step at
least in the short term.