[OpenLayers-Dev] OpenLayers & SVG Web

Tim Schaub tschaub at opengeo.org
Wed Dec 2 13:19:06 EST 2009

Hey-

Christopher Schmidt wrote:
> ----- Forwarded message from Jonathan Pasquier -----
>
> Hello Chris,
>
> I know that OpenLayers has support for vector drawing in all the browsers,
> I have used a lot this feature and it's working really well.
>
> What I wanted to do was just to experiment with SVG Web as well as get an
> insight on the internals of OpenLayers.
> As you can see on my webpage, the port of svg web to openlayers is not
> really usable at the moment (missing features + speed issue).
>
> I know that introducing a dependency upon an external library is not really
> great, but it could be nice to have a full SVG support across all browsers.
> This could allow us to use specific SVG features (SMIL, filters, etc..) or
> to use SVG art on openlayers maps.
>
> What do you think about it?

My opinion is that we'll be better off enhancing what we have.  If there
are SVG features that can be implemented in multiple browsers, then we
should be able to do this in our current renderers (and we can
cherry-pick any cross-browser implementation stuff that is appropriate
from SVG Web).

It would help to center this discussion around specific features.  Since
it makes sense from an OpenLayers perspective to talk about rendering
features with symbolizers, what specific features would you like to see
added (not in SVG speak but in OpenLayers speak)?

Tim

--
Tim Schaub
OpenGeo - http://opengeo.org