[OpenLayers-Dev] new doc for OpenLayers

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Wed Feb 4 17:58:20 EST 2009

On Wed, Feb 04, 2009 at 10:15:17PM +0100, Yves Jacolin (free) wrote:
> After reading your three emails and thought about those, I think I would help
> better the project if I am working on a french translation of the
> documentation.

I think that's fair. I hope that you don't feel put off by my comments
previously. I didn't mean to scare you off :)

> I read again some of your older email and you said to me to wait a little bit
> before begining a translation. As OSGeo-fr began the translation of the QGIS
> documentation, I will wait that we finish it or starts it when I will have
> some time to spend.

Well, luckily you being busy means that there is now adequate
documentation for you to get started translating :) I've patched our
server side doc generator to support translation easily: simply take any
file in $SVN/trunk/docs/, a la trunk/docs/library/overlays.rst,
and create a matching copy at, for example, library/overlays.fr.rst, and the
server will handle everything else.

You can, for the time being, send these as patches to trac tickets,
assigned to me, and I will make sure that they get in as part of my
daily hour of documentation work.

> To give more information about the "introdcution", the filename is wrong, I
> have to give a name to the file and the document and give it this one. This
> is not an "introduction" of a book or for a full documentation, but an
> introduction for french people to beging to work with OpenLayers with their
> data and google map as a baselayer. Mainly because in some french forum, a
> lot of question were asked about this. And indeed, it tends to wander a
> bit.

Gotcha. "Overview" is probably a good word for that.

You can see what I did with your document at:

  http://docs.openlayers.org/library/introduction

Essentially, I cleaned it up some, and integrated it into the main docs
tree so that users can hopefully find the other things that are needed.
Clearly, some aspects of what you wrote aren't fully covered by the
existing documentation -- Google/commercial layers are not covered
beyodn the reference level yet, for example -- but I hope that we can
get there.

> So if developers agreed, I will work on the french translation as soon as you
> told me how to send the translated files and how to follow changes in the
> original documentations, (ie if possible to get an email if someone changed
> the file in svn).

You can subscribe to the SVN commits list for this, or I can create a
seperate SVN-commits-doc list for you to follow, if the main SVN commits
list has too much noise.