[OpenLayers-Dev] OpenLayers doesn't like being pushed aside by Float

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Mon Feb 23 15:36:03 EST 2009

On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 09:31:28AM +1300, Craig Stanton wrote:
> Hi all,
>     I'm new to OpenLayers but have done a lot of searching to find a
>     solution to a problem I have come across straight away. What I did
>     was place a div to the left of the map div, held there by a
>     style="float:left" command. I then discovered that my
>     double-clicks on the map are interpreted as if the map is still up
>     against the left side of the browser window. So if the other div
>     is 100 wide the map is moved 100 pixels to the right. I then click
>     on Africa and the map thinks that I've clicked on Australia.
>
> I've seen some emails in these archives discussing the use of map.updateSize(). I put that into my init function but it changed nothing. I believe the problem is that OpenLayers is not aware that it has been displaced from the side of the window. Has anyone come across this and found a solution?

Is your map div positioned absolutely? I would not be surprised to find
that this would be a problem in this case. Otherise, the best thing to
do is take the smallest possible OpenLayers example:

  http://openlayers.org/dev/examples/lite.html

Modify it as little as possible, and demonstrate the buggy behavior,
preferably by linking to a live instance of it. Ading
style='float:right' to that map div did *not* allow me to reproduce the
effect, so I will need more information to understand the problem.