[OpenLayers-Dev] Size of Library / Packing

Erik Uzureau euzuro at gmail.com
Wed Jan 21 11:43:16 EST 2009

I came across the following quote in a blog entry today:

"The initial implementation I was working with utilized
OpenLayers<http://openlayers.org/>,
... Unfortunately the size of the library seems to be constantly increasing
(~200K in the last year) and currently weighs in at 560K uncompressed ... "
[1]

...which got me thinking.

Just now I did a build of the latest from trunk, and it clocked in at 566k.
Doing a 'lite' build gives 115k.

It seems like maybe we could do better than that?

Someone referred me once to a post by John Resig about JS compression [2]
that I thought was pretty interesting. It touched on the use of 'Packer' and
the YUI Minimizer.

As usual, I don't really have the time to go much further into this, but I
thought that if anyone else out there was experiencing the same problems
with the size of the library, this might make for an interesting side
project.

Erik

[1]
http://cwjen888.blogspot.com/2009/01/viewing-large-images-openlayers-gsiv.html