[OpenLayers-Dev] Request for help from Opera users

Tim Schaub tschaub at opengeo.org
Wed Jun 10 12:08:25 EDT 2009

Hey-

Roald de Wit wrote:
> Hi Chris,
>
> Thank you for your reply.
>
> Christopher Schmidt wrote:
>> Any functionality that is in a released version of OpenLayers should
>> continue to work the same in all future versions of OpenLayers of the
>> same major revision. That is, there should never be any reason that
>> upgrading from 2.7 to 2.8 should cause anything to break.
>>
> I agree in general but not when somebody (1 person) uses an old version
> of Opera that should have been
> upgraded anyway (security).
>> The report from the user is not clear. If -- as I am assuming --
>> "This worked in 2.7,  and 2.8 breaks it" -- that is, simply switching to
>> 2.8 causes a regression in behavior -- then this is a bug.
>>
> Unless we introduce new functionality that hits a bug in Opera that they
> fixed in a later stable version.
> It is a fact that the 2.8 branch does not work with this particular
> version of this browser (I verified that today).
>
> Plus, the 'new RegExp('...')' notation makes regular expressions harder
> to read with the extra backslashes.
>
> Anyway, the patch in #2103 does not solve the issue yet. It looks like
> another regular expression needs to be converted.

I'd like to get confirmation from someone with an older version of Opera
about what works and what doesn't.  My recollection is that the patch
made Opera 9.27 happy - even though it didn't remove all literal regular
expressions.  You'll note that we had literal regexes in literal objects
in 2.7 as well.  Hence my request for someone to check 2.7 in the same
version of Opera.

If nobody has Opera 9.27, I'll look at reverting mine.  Though this does
add weight to the opinion that the effort is a bit quixotic.

Tim

> Regards,
>
> Roald
>
> --
> Roald de Wit
> Software Engineer
> roald.dewit at lisasoft.com
>
> Commercial Support for Open Source GIS Software
> http://lisasoft.com/LISAsoft/SupportedProducts/
>

> The contents of this email are confidential and may be subject to legal or professional privilege and copyright. No representation is made that this email is free of viruses or other defects. If you have received this communication in error, you may not copy or distribute any part of it or otherwise disclose its contents to anyone. Please advise the sender of your incorrect receipt of this correspondence.

Tim Schaub
OpenGeo - http://opengeo.org