[OpenLayers-Dev] Request for help from Opera users

Roald de Wit roald.dewit at lisasoft.com
Wed Jun 10 17:40:16 EDT 2009

Hi Tim,

Tim Schaub wrote:
> I'd like to get confirmation from someone with an older version of Opera
> about what works and what doesn't.  My recollection is that the patch
> made Opera 9.27 happy - even though it didn't remove all literal regular
> expressions.  You'll note that we had literal regexes in literal objects
> in 2.7 as well.  Hence my request for someone to check 2.7 in the same
> version of Opera.
>
> If nobody has Opera 9.27, I'll look at reverting mine.  Though this does
> add weight to the opinion that the effort is a bit quixotic.

Andreas pointed out that the problem with this Opera lies in the greedy
parameter that's used in tokenRegEx ('g'). A quick search pointed me to
over 40 cases in the OL library where we use the greedy parameter in
regular expressions.

When I played with Opera 9.27 yesterday, I could make the JS errors go
away (in the sundials example) with changing the 'trim' function to use
'new RegExp' too.
So, we *can* make some functionality work for this version of Opera if
we put the effort in.

The main question is: do we want to put all this effort in to support
this version? I just asked the reporter of #2120 if he would consider
upgrading to the latest Opera version [2], which might be the easiest
way out.

Older versions of Opera can be found here: [1] for anyone to try out.

[1] http://www.filehippo.com/download_opera/3976/
[2] http://trac.openlayers.org/ticket/2120#comment:7

Regards, Roald