[OpenLayers-Dev] ESRI and OpenLayers

David Zwarg dzwarg+ol_dev at avencia.com
Mon Mar 9 23:50:23 EDT 2009

Greetings community,

One thing to note for the ArcIMS and ArcXML patches: they are a best effort
to implement the most commonly used functions in ArcXML.  This includes get
image and get feature requests.

Anyone who's looked at the ArcXML specification knows that it's very
thorough, and supports a myriad of operations.  The ArcXML support in the
patch mentioned implements image requests and feature requests.  However,
there are limits to what is implemented.  The entire ArcXML schema is not
replicated in the ArcXML patch, so it's not a complete port.  As with most
projects, the current patch satisfies the business need that I have with the
resources that I have.

I am willing and able to be the custodian of that component, but will need
more feedback from users of the ArcIMS layer for advanced operations
(geocoding, projection (have you heard of this proj4js library?), etc.).

Thanks,