[OpenLayers-Dev] request for review

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Sat Mar 14 22:17:25 EDT 2009

On Sat, Mar 14, 2009 at 10:13:08PM -0400, Schuyler Erle wrote:
> On Sat, 2009-03-14 at 19:45 -0600, Tim Schaub wrote:
> > Hey-
> >
> > I'm hoping to get a favor.  I'd like someone to review the latest patch
> > for http://trac.openlayers.org/ticket/1951.
> >
> > r9022 introduced a regression that breaks bounds.intersectsBounds.
>
> It looks like I got overzealous in my attempts to refactor
> intersectsBounds more readable to ordinary mortals, which was dumb,
> because fixing #1951 wound up not actually requiring those changes after
> all.
>
> Your patch appears to replace the changes to intersectsBounds in r9022
> with its original code, and adds a test for the case that my refactoring
> broke. Thanks for finding and fixing this, Tim. I've approved the patch
> in Trac -- please commit it.
>

> > If it doesn't get attention in the next day or so, I think it would be
> > reasonable to roll back the changes from r9022.  If you disagree, please
> > speak up (or review the patch).
>
> I disagree in principle. I think that submitting a change that fixes the
> old patch and waiting for review was the right response.

I disagree with your disagreement in principle; if we commit a change
that is breaking existing functionality, I'd rather rollback and do a
new change in trunk than leave things broken for an extended period. (I
think that 48 hours is reasonably acceptable to wait; a week is not.)

I would feel less this way if trunk weren't so far from the most recent
release, I expect; more reasons to 'rlease early, release often', I
suppose.