[OpenLayers-Dev] OpenLayers 2.8 RC2

C E M Harrison c.e.m.harrison at cemh.eclipse.co.uk
Sun May 17 14:24:21 EDT 2009

Hi Bart,

>     with open source it's not as simple as saying something does
>     not work,
>     and expecting people to fix it for free.

I'm afraid it is, the situation is exactly analogous with users of my
website.  If you want people to use your product, and why else would anyone
spend the time creating it, then it has to work.

>	Remember, Chris is spending
>     lots of his spare time unpaid on OpenLayers

Just as I have on my website.

>     If things don't work, and it seems like you are the only one running
>     into it, it probably means not many people are using that feature. So
>     you've basically got two choices: fix it up yourself and
>     provide a patch
>     with testcases, or hire a developer to do that for you.

Or go to a different mapping API, which, if this is not fixed, I may well be
forced to do.  You and or other OL contributors may not be overly concerned
of course, that is your and their right, but in the analogous position, I
would consider the time spent developing my website wasted if I thought lack
of proper functionality was driving customers away.  Similarly, I would
suggest that it is not in OL's long term interest to drive its users away.

Regards Charles.