[OpenLayers-Dev] [Fwd: [OpenLayers-Trac] [OpenLayers] #2344: label offset not working as documented]

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Mon Nov 9 10:49:09 EST 2009

On Mon, Nov 09, 2009 at 07:21:07AM -0800, Mark Williams wrote:
> For what its worth, from a bystander's point of view...
>
> Several months ago, I spent a while debugging issues with code I'd
> copied from an example, only to finally realize that it wasnt using
> the same openlayers source that I was. Even then, I assumed it was
> /my/ problem. It was only after I re-downloaded the latest release,
> and diffed it against my copy that I finally guessed (and then
> verified) that the examples were using trunk.
>
> So while I think you're right to want to keep the trunk examples
> visible, they need to be clearly labeled as such. And a link to the
> latest release examples should be right there along side.
>
> It strikes me as very odd that the only obvious link to the
> documentation is for the latest release, and the only obvious link to
> the examples is for trunk. And the two links are right next to each
> other, and right at the top of the home page!

I agree that's a bug, but I maintain it's a bug in the other direction:
that is, the problem is that the link is to the 2.8 docs, not that the
examples point to trunk.

That said, I've gone ahead and changed the link to point to
http://dev.openlayers.org/releases/OpenLayers-2.8/examples/ , since
there's now 3 dissenting opinions and no supporting ones. I just feel
like we're losing a fair amount of value as a result.

-- Chris