[OpenLayers-Dev] [Fwd: [OpenLayers-Trac] [OpenLayers] #2344: label offset not working as documented]

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Mon Nov 9 09:21:56 EST 2009

On Mon, Nov 09, 2009 at 08:23:41AM +1100, Roald de Wit wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Christopher Schmidt wrote:
>> On Sun, Nov 08, 2009 at 05:44:20PM +0100, Andreas Hocevar wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> very good catch Roald. I think you are absolutely right.
>>>
>>> +1 for splitting examples into a release and a trunk version.
>>>

>> Released:
>>
>>  http://dev.openlayers.org/releases/OpenLayers-2.8/examples/lite.html
>>  http://dev.openlayers.org/releases/OpenLayers-2.8/doc/apidocs/files/OpenLayers-js.html
>>
>>  Trunk:
>>    http://openlayers.org/dev/examples/lite.html
>>  http://dev.openlayers.org/apidocs/files/OpenLayers-js.html
>>

> Thanks Chris for the swift action! There are a few more things needed to
> be done though:

I didn't take any action. This was the way things were set up. I'm against
changing them, because there are a number of situations where I prefer trunk
examples.

 1. It's easy to update an example based on a question on the mailing list,
    and have someone immediately able to find the new information.
 2. The same applies to documentation: as we update the documentation in
    the process of a release, we improve descriptions of some things that
    existed before, and having this documentation be the primary documentation
    allows us to avoid having to send users to a different source for
    more up to date information.

My personal preference is to continue pointing to the trunk examples on
the website. This is our only place to demonstrate the code, and pointing
to examples which are outdated is more harmful than occasionally pointing
to an example that's too new.

If there is a majority against me, I'll change it, but I like the way
things are set up now.

> - change link from homepage to the released examples:
> http://dev.openlayers.org/releases/OpenLayers-2.8/examples/
> - make sure that example-list is added as a DirectoryIndex (or point
> directly to example-list.html)
> - add example-list.js (is missing now) to make the example-list.html work

It isn't possible to build an example-list.js for a non-checkout of OpenLayers,
apparently, which is why this isn't there.