[OpenLayers-Dev] [Fwd: [OpenLayers-Trac] [OpenLayers] #2344: label offset not working as documented]

Tim Schaub tschaub at opengeo.org
Tue Nov 10 05:50:52 EST 2009

Hey-

Roald de Wit wrote:
> Hi Chris and list,
>
> Christopher Schmidt wrote:
>> I don't think we should overcomplicate the links on the homepage more
>> than we already have; perhaps it would just be best to get rid of the
>> examples link entirely? You can use the examples better after you've checked
>> out from SVN or a release anyway.
>>
> I agree with Mark Williams that it would be good to have links to both
> the trunk and the latest stable version. What if we clean up the links
> on the home page to: 1) documentation, 2) api docs and 3) code in such a
> way that it is clear for a user that he gets the version he wants?
>
> I don't have a good idea on *how* to do this atm. Maybe someone else can
> contribute ideas here?

I agree with Chris that our trunk examples have a lot of value -
particularly in long stretches between releases.  Same goes for the docs.

I like how these guys do it:
http://www.djangoproject.com/

Doc link points to latest from svn:
http://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/

Those come with a warning up top about being the latest and greatest.
They also prominently link to the latest stable:
http://docs.djangoproject.com/en/1.0// (sic)

It would take some work do do this on our side, but I think this makes
sense in general.  Provide prominent links to docs and examples.
Prominently display that these may document or demonstrate functionality
that is beyond the latest stable release.

Not sure this is the alternative being suggested, but I'm also against
burying links to the latest examples/docs.

Regarding links from the homepage, I think this deserves a separate
subject line at least.

Tim

> Regards, Roald

Tim Schaub