[OpenLayers-Dev] feature.bounds versus feature.geometry.bounds

Bart van den Eijnden (OSGIS) bartvde at osgis.nl
Thu Nov 12 14:21:04 EST 2009

Hi list,

this discussion came up again in ticket 2255
(http://trac.openlayers.org/ticket/2255). I know it has come up before
(but I cannot find the respective thread right now).

What is our policy with respect to setting feature.bounds or
feature.geometry.bounds with values from server-side retrieved formats?

The current state of affairs in OpenLayers is:
-GeoJSON: sets the bounds to feature.bounds
-GML.Base sets the boundedBy info to feature.geometry.bounds

In my opinion it would be good to get one rule adopted for all formats,
and for me the most logical thing is setting feature.bounds. I see two
reasons for this:
1) in GML the boundedBy property conceptually maps to the feature and
not the geometry
2) as you can see in the patch for ticket 2255, GML can have a boundedBy
property but have no geometry included in the feature

Tim, can you recall why you wanted it to map to feature.geometry.bounds
in GML.Base?

Best regards,
Bart

--