[OpenLayers-Dev] [OpenLayers-Users] Advice about Google layer limitations

Andreas Hocevar ahocevar at opengeo.org
Sun Nov 29 11:31:56 EST 2009

Adrian Popa wrote:
> I asked the same question on Google API forums, and it looks like the
> original Google API doesn't have this limitation.

OpenLayers uses the original Google API, v2.x. Using
OpenLayers.Layer.Google is nothing else than using a GMaps Map directly,
you just access it wrapped by an OpenLayers layer type, not by the API
directly.

I also do not see a violation of the terms of use. We even make sure
that the Terms of Use link is clickable if we render other layers on top
of Google.

There is, however, a known issue: if you create your map at a smaller
size and switch from one Google Layer type to another after resizing it
to your big map, tiles will only be loaded for the area of the old
extent. There is a patch that appears to solve this issue. You can try
it: http://trac.openlayers.org/ticket/1797

Regards,
Andreas.

Andreas Hocevar