[OpenLayers-Dev] Patrch for getting vector drawing working over the 180 line going.

Phil Scadden p.scadden at gns.cri.nz
Tue Aug 17 21:14:07 EDT 2010

> How do you know that the line (179 0, -179 0) is meant to cross the date line?

You cant as far as I know. And how would you unambiguously specify it?
We generally store everything in arcSDE in WGS84 lat/long and depend on
client mapping to sort it out. When you have no unambiguous way of
specify which way the line goes, the obvious convention is take the
shortest distance. ship track/air track are overwhelming source of data
in this catagory while I cant really think of a mapping application
where you would want 179,0, -179,0 to be circle the globe.
--
Phil Scadden, Senior Scientist GNS Science Ltd 764 Cumberland St,
Private Bag 1930, Dunedin, New Zealand Ph +64 3 4799663, fax +64 3 477 5232