[OpenLayers-Dev] IE 7&8 CPU spike with vector layer of 500 features

Chris Beaudette jcbeaude at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 27 16:02:20 EDT 2010

Greetings.

I'm using OL v2.9.1 and I have a vector layer with 500 features in it, and when
I run the app in IE, the CPU spikes for the IE process for several seconds and
my whole system crawls to a halt.  It eventually catches up after several
seconds but every time I resize the window, pan or zoom I get this effect. I'm
using IE8 and it behaves the same in IE7 compat mode.  If use the IE Profiler I
see that it spends around 60 seconds in each of setCenter, moveTo, draFeature
and drawGeometry, and nearly as much in redrawNode and postDraw.  Works fine in
FF and lickety split in Chrome.

Has anyone experienced this before and/or have any ideas?

Thanks,

Chris