[OpenLayers-Dev] IE 7&8 CPU spike with vector layer of 500 features

Julien-Samuel Lacroix jlacroix at mapgears.com
Fri Aug 27 16:46:02 EDT 2010

Hello,

There's no easy answer  to this apart from Don't display 500 feature at
the same time.

There's a couple of tricks for that:
- If it's points, use the cluster startegy.
- Only display the vector from a scale where they will be useful. Use
WMS before that point.
- Preprocess your data to have less geometry when zoomed out

Others may have some advice as well.

Best regards,
Julien

On 10-08-27 04:02 PM, Chris Beaudette wrote:
> Greetings.
>
> I'm using OL v2.9.1 and I have a vector layer with 500 features in it,
> and when I run the app in IE, the CPU spikes for the IE process for
> several seconds and my whole system crawls to a halt. It eventually
> catches up after several seconds but every time I resize the window, pan
> or zoom I get this effect. I'm using IE8 and it behaves the same in IE7
> compat mode. If use the IE Profiler I see that it spends around 60
> seconds in each of setCenter, moveTo, draFeature and drawGeometry, and
> nearly as much in redrawNode and postDraw. Works fine in FF and lickety
> split in Chrome.
>
> Has anyone experienced this before and/or have any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Chris

Julien-Samuel Lacroix
Mapgears