[OpenLayers-Dev] WFS without proxy

Tim Schaub tschaub at opengeo.org
Wed Dec 1 19:37:13 EST 2010

On 11/30/10 6:05 PM, Tim Schaub wrote:
> On 11/30/10 2:56 PM, Phil Scadden wrote:
>>> Using syntax like the request above, you can dynamically inject
>>> scripts into your page that load features cross-origin.
>> That looks exceedingly useful to me! I use script injection a lot to get
>> around local file restrictions in Chrome and cross-site access. How
>> would go about building that into OL as alternative to POST for wfs
>> getfeature queries?
>>

> One thing to note is that Internet Explorer's limitation of 2083
> character URLs will make this only practical if you are not issuing
> requests with large filters.
>
> To implement something like this in OpenLayers, the HTTP related
> protocols could be given an option to do script injection instead of
> XHR. A plain old Script protocol would be a nice clean alternative as well.

Here's a prototype of OpenLayers.Protocol.Script in action:
http://dev.openlayers.org/sandbox/tschaub/xdomain/examples/cross-origin.html

That example issues WFS GetFeature requests with a bbox filter without
using a proxy.  The protocol temporarily injects a script in the
document to request and parse features.  Works on FF, Chrome, Safari,
and IE 6/7/8.

http://trac.osgeo.org/openlayers/ticket/2956

--
Tim Schaub