[OpenLayers-Dev] server resources meeting

christopher.schmidt at nokia.com christopher.schmidt at nokia.com
Fri Dec 10 11:09:51 EST 2010

On Dec 10, 2010, at 10:36 AM, ext Tim Schaub wrote:

> Hey-
>
> I'd like to have an meeting to talk about OpenLayers server resources. I know this has been (almost exclusively) Chris' domain over time.  I also know Chris has done a bunch of work moving things to OSGeo infrastructure - allowing (I think) more of us to be involved in maintaining things.  In practice, I think we're still in the same position as we were before - with one person largely responsible for keeping things running.
>
> My goals for the meeting:
> 1) Extract as much detail we can (from Chris) about what runs where so that we can document how others can be involved in maintenance.

OpenLayers.org is hosted on the projects.osgeo.osuosl.org server. This server is a shared
resource for OSGeo projects. Access is controlled by being listed in a shell group
in OSGeo LDAP. Anyone interested can be added to this group. Tim, myself, and andreas
have sudo access to this machine, as does any member of OSGeo SAC.

cron tasks run in a cronjob owned by the "openlayers" user. Anyone listed in the openlayers
group can sudo to the openlayers user without a password, and anyone running as the openlayers
user should be able to make changes to anything openlayers related without a password.

The cronjobs are editable by sudoing to the openlayers user and doing crontab -e, which runs
the 'update_dev_dir' script, from SVN.

The SVN server is hosted as part of the OSGeo trac/svn setup, and is on tracsvn.osgeo.osuosl.org.
This server is only accessible by SAC administrators.

is only accessible by SAC administrators.

Administration tasks on the latter two servers are ideally served by creating a SAC ticket in
the OSGeo trac instance, sending an email to the SAC mailing list, or joining #telascience
on IRC and looking for a SAC member.

-- Chris