[OpenLayers-Dev] Independent UI Controls

Volker Mische volker.mische at gmail.com
Wed Feb 10 18:43:00 EST 2010

Hi,

at the FOSS4G 2009 at the OpenLayers BoF we discussed a bit that it
would be cool to have an easier way for integrating controls that are
based on other JavaScript libraries like jQuery, Dojo or ExtJs. At the
code sprint we (ahocevar, rdewit and I) got a bit more specific at the
whiteboard. No I finally managed to get some code done.

Please have a look at my sandbox at an example:
http://dev.openlayers.org/sandbox/vmx/ui/examples/jq-zoom.html

The buttons at the top could be OpenLayers ones, the others below are
jQuery UI ones. The important bits are at
http://dev.openlayers.org/sandbox/vmx/ui/lib/geojq/olui.js

It's only a rough cut, but you should get the basic idea. The idea is to
separate the visualisation/representation of a control from the
functionality.

What do you think about it? BTW: There are no changes to OpenLayers code
base.

Cheers,
  Volker