[OpenLayers-Dev] Independent UI Controls

Volker Mische volker.mische at gmail.com
Mon Feb 15 08:11:22 EST 2010

Dropping some code into the wild doesn't seem to be the right way to
start a discussion. But hopefully this mail will.

I've updated the example at [1] a bit. It now shows the usage of
jQuery and Dojo. Especially interesting is the code of the
OpenLayers.Control.ZoomSlider [2], it's an implementation that
resembles the GeoExt.ZoomSlider.

The question is: Is it a good idea to create OpenLayers controls that
are independent of the underlying JavaScript library? This would push
OpenLayers into the framework direction. You would embed functionality
from a JavaScript lib into Openlayers. Or would it be better to leave
OpenLayers (as it was meant to be) as a library and every JavaScript
lib creates its own widgets and embeds OpenLayers. If the library-way
is prefered, should devs even be discouraged from creating new
controls based on raw JavaScript/OpenLayers and not on a lib?

Creating JavaScript lib independent controls would be a chance to
collaborate accros libs (how great would it be to team up the GeoExt
ppl with the jQuerz fanboys). But I'm well aware that GeoExt is
already going down the other way, and based on the maturity it already
has, it seems almost impossible to change the direction.

Cheers,
  Volker

[1] http://dev.openlayers.org/sandbox/vmx/ui/examples/jq-zoom.html
[2] http://dev.openlayers.org/sandbox/vmx/ui/lib/geojq/olui.js