[OpenLayers-Dev] iPhone Support

Bruno Binet bruno.binet at camptocamp.com
Thu Feb 11 03:11:25 EST 2010

Hi,

Sorry for the late response.
I recently worked on the Camptocamp mobile sandbox to provide a mobile
interface with simple search functionnality for one of our customers.
This sandbox is based on patched versions of IOL and iUI libraries.
- IOL [1] is the OpenLayers mobile library initiated by OpenGeo which
is able to handle touch events for example. Given Tim response on
previous OL mobile thread, IOL is not targetted to be pushed in
OpenLayers, but OL browser event handling stuff should rather be
revisited so that OL could work transparently on mobile devices. So I
think that future efforts on mobile should put directly in OpenLayers.
- iUI [2] is a ui library which mimics the iphone interface.

The sandbox has been tested with webkit mobile devices only (iphone OS
and android). It was designed to work only on mobile devices, so that
we could drop many dependencies and reduce the size of the js build.
So you're right, we haven't tried to make it work transparently on
desktop browser like firefox.

Hope this clarifies the situation.
Cheers,

Bruno