[OpenLayers-Dev] OpenLayers 2.10 versus 3.0

Eric Lemoine eric.lemoine at camptocamp.com
Tue Jun 15 09:30:56 EDT 2010

On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 2:01 PM,  <christopher.schmidt at nokia.com> wrote:

> On Jun 15, 2010, at 1:48 AM, ext Bart van den Eijnden (OSGIS) wrote:
>> If we plan to do a 3.0, can we have a meeting in Barcelona to discuss the
>> direction?
>
> As the biggest stickler for actually maintaining backwards compatibility, I
> feel somewhat strongly that the onus is on me for improving the situation we
> have to no longer feel like a constant battle :)
>
> So, as much as I hate to break API compatibility, I am strongly in favor
> of our next major effort being OpenLayers 3.0. (We may want to do another
> 2.10 to pick up some of the features that devs have been working on, like
> the WMTS support, but that most of our effort should be looking forward.

Right, we definitely need 2.10. And after 2.10 is released we could do
point releases for regressions *and* serious bugs.

> I think that Barcelona is an excellent opportunity to push through the
> hard parts of this process.
>
> One question that I'm not sure on: do we want to start a 3.0 branch before
> that, and start cleaning up trunk, so that we can be effective during
> Barcelona?

Yes. Would you do that in a 3.0 branch or in the trunk? If we wait for
2.10 before any work on 3.0 starts I guess we could the cleanup
directly in trunk.

> Practically speaking, this effort probably requires several days of
> concentrated developer time, with as many of us as possible in attendance;
> setting up the basics -- removing a lot of the "FIXMEs", etc. -- could be
> done beforehand, so that we don't waste time during the conference on this.
>
> We could either track these things via a new milestone in trac, or simply
> say that trunk committers are trusted to use their best judgement in moving
> the code forward; I don't think we need to have a full review of every change
> in a 3.x branch by multiple developers until we're approaching a release.

Agreed. How about asking developers to document (in a wiki page) all
the API changes that their commits to the 3.0 branch (or trunk) imply.
This would help us keep track with the work being done, and it would
help with the 2to3 migration notes we will provide when 3.0 is
released.

--
Eric Lemoine

Camptocamp France SAS