[OpenLayers-Dev] OpenLayers 2.10 versus 3.0

christopher.schmidt at nokia.com christopher.schmidt at nokia.com
Wed Jun 16 07:31:13 EDT 2010

On Jun 16, 2010, at 3:39 AM, ext Pierre Giraud wrote:
> I think I'm in favor on having a 3.0 and starting with a "one place /
> many developpers" coding.

Not sure I understand here: the two ideas that seem to be conflicting
are:
 * Branch now, have an IRC meeting
   to discuss what our plans are, then use the next 2 months to
   take care of small things (like removing WMS.Untiled,
   MouseToolbar, etc.) before the conference, and do the 'hard stuff'
   (like rewrites of map.moveTo, etc.) during the conference.

 * Use time during code sprint/FOSS4G to discuss our plans for
   3.0 face to face, and come up with a solid plan during the
   code sprint. (Practically speaking, I expect that we'd spend
   a whole day talking, and not get a whole lot done.) Then
   follow up with coding after FOSS4G, presumably.

Which one are you in favor of?

> If I remember well, a while ago, camptocamp started to think about
> looking for sponsors in order to organize a code sprint week with a
> focus on building a 3.0 version.

It is unlikely that I will be able to participate in any code sprint
that is not during FOSS4G. Though perhaps I attach too much
importance to my role in the project at this point, and I should just
plan on stepping back from participating to allow the current
contributors to control the direction of 3.0.

Nokia