[OpenLayers-Dev] OpenLayers 2.10 versus 3.0

Tim Schaub tschaub at opengeo.org
Wed Jun 16 10:45:23 EDT 2010

christopher.schmidt at nokia.com wrote:
> On Jun 16, 2010, at 3:39 AM, ext Pierre Giraud wrote:
>> I think I'm in favor on having a 3.0 and starting with a "one place /
>> many developpers" coding.
>
> Not sure I understand here: the two ideas that seem to be conflicting
> are:
>  * Branch now, have an IRC meeting
>    to discuss what our plans are, then use the next 2 months to
>    take care of small things (like removing WMS.Untiled,
>    MouseToolbar, etc.) before the conference, and do the 'hard stuff'
>    (like rewrites of map.moveTo, etc.) during the conference.
>
>  * Use time during code sprint/FOSS4G to discuss our plans for
>    3.0 face to face, and come up with a solid plan during the
>    code sprint. (Practically speaking, I expect that we'd spend
>    a whole day talking, and not get a whole lot done.) Then
>    follow up with coding after FOSS4G, presumably.
>
> Which one are you in favor of?

I think you've misinterpreted my opinion in presenting these
"conflicting" ideas.

I am very excited to move forward with 3.0.  It is encouraging, Chris,
to see that you are not resisting the idea.  On the contrary, you are
actively encouraging work.  This is great to see.

A number of us have been wanting 3.0 for a long time.  I don't think any
of us have illusions about it being a trivial task.  My only hope is
that we aren't hasty about making minor changes (deleting MouseToolbar
et al.) and then calling it done at FOSS4G because we fear that it is
never going to get done otherwise.

I'm totally in favor of branching, working collectively, and planning
starting now.  I'm also very much in favor of working as much as we can
together during the conference.  At the conference, I also look forward
to talking about the bigger changes that will benefit from face to face
meeting.  And, yes, I'd like to also work on these bigger changes there too.

I'm sure Andreas will want to be involved after he returns on the 25th
of this month.  I'll start a separate thread looking for a time that
works for others to meet.

Tim

--
Tim Schaub