[OpenLayers-Dev] Question: Vector layer with draw & modify feature

Moiz Bhukhiya moiz.bhukhiya at gmail.com
Wed Sep 15 05:32:29 EDT 2010

Hi,

I am using vector (polygon) layer with draw feature and modify feature. Let
me explain first what I am trying to achieve. I want to draw
rectangles(strict horizontally aligned) and after drawing it might require a
little bit of modification but again it shouldn't lose its shape.

Here is what I tried doing:

polygonLayer = new OpenLayers.Layer.Vector("Capture Region",
{displayInLayerSwitcher: true, reproject: true});
        polyOptions = {sides: 4, snapAngle: 180, irregular: true}; //To draw
only rectangles
        var pan = new OpenLayers.Control.Navigation({title: "Navigate"})
        polygonControl = new OpenLayers.Control.DrawFeature(polygonLayer,
OpenLayers.Handler.RegularPolygon,
            {handlerOptions: polyOptions});
        modify = new OpenLayers.Control.ModifyFeature(
                polygonLayer, {displayClass: "olControlModifyFeature",
title: "Modify Features"},
                {mode: ~OpenLayers.Control.ModifyFeature.RESHAPE |
OpenLayers.Control.ModifyFeature.RESIZE
                | OpenLayers.Control.ModifyFeature.DRAG }
            );
        var panel = new OpenLayers.Control.Panel({
             displayClass: "olControlEditingToolbar"
        });
        panel.addControls([pan, polygonControl, modify]);
        map.addControl(panel);

The problem is it doesn't follow the modify feature modes I have defined. It
allows reshaping and doesn't allow dragging and resizing. Another problem I
have is when I define the displayClass for draw feature, it wouldn't let me
draw rectangles that are horizontally aligned. To point your attention
towards where I might be making a mistake, I am using
OpenLayers.Handler.RegularPolygon to draw feature. Is that a problem?

Thanks a lot for taking time to read my problem and I'd really appreciate if
you could help me with any suggestions and ideas.

Thanks!
Moiz