[OpenLayers-Dev] VOTE: new OpenLayers CLA list (or last chance for objections anyway)

Tim Schaub tschaub at opengeo.org
Fri Apr 15 13:40:11 EDT 2011

On 4/15/11 9:57 AM, christopher.schmidt at nokia.com wrote:

> On Apr 14, 2011, at 3:02 PM, ext Eric Lemoine wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 8:35 PM, Tim Schaub<tschaub at opengeo.org>  wrote:
>>> I sent a message to the PSC list with details on a new list that has been
>>> set up for emailed CLA (mailed to a private list because it contained the
>>> admin credentials).
>>>
>>> This list has an archive that we can refer to.  I'd like to abandon the
>>> current openlayers-cla [at] openlayers.org address in favor of the new
>>> openlayers-cla [at] lists.osgeo.org list (or make the former go to the
>>> latter).
>>>
>>> Below, please find the proposed workflow for the new list.  I don't think
>>> this kind of thing should require a PSC vote.  But I've heard nothing back
>>> from any PSC members, so I'd at least like to give folks another chance to
>>> object.
>>>
>>> I'm +1 on having an archived list for CLA.
>>
>> +1 from me.
>
> +0. (Moderating the spam that comes into lists is a lost cause in my opinion,
> but if other people want to try, go for it.)

Thanks for replying Chris.  I couldn't remember the details of your concern.

Just for clarification, can you remind me if there is any spam filter on
the current CLA mail before it gets to recipients?

I've been impressed by Google Groups spam handling.  I've been owner of
a few open lists for over a year and had only a handful of spam
moderation requests (that I can safely ignore and messages are
discarded).  The vast majority of the real spam gets trashed instead of
making it into the moderation queue.

Anyway, I'm all in favor of using a mailing list solution that meets our
workflow needs.  I didn't suggest Google Groups initially because I
anticipated opposition.

Since nobody has voted down the idea of an archived list, and I think
the benefits are worthwhile (having CLA archived somewhere accessible by
more than one person), I'm going forward with it.

Chris, given your ambivalence, I won't add you as a moderator.  Of
course you can still access the archive or add yourself as a moderator
as you see fit.

Tim

> -- Chris
>

>> --