[OpenLayers-Dev] VOTE: new OpenLayers CLA list (or last chance for objections anyway)

christopher.schmidt at nokia.com christopher.schmidt at nokia.com
Sat Apr 16 08:03:46 EDT 2011

On Apr 15, 2011, at 1:40 PM, ext Tim Schaub wrote:

> On 4/15/11 9:57 AM, christopher.schmidt at nokia.com wrote:

>>> +1 from me.
>>
>> +0. (Moderating the spam that comes into lists is a lost cause in my opinion,
>> but if other people want to try, go for it.)
>
> Thanks for replying Chris.  I couldn't remember the details of your concern.
>
> Just for clarification, can you remind me if there is any spam filter on the current CLA mail before it gets to recipients?

Nope. Essentially, the reason that I was treating it as a 'forward to users'
list instead of a mailing list is because I wanted to depend on personal
spam filters to keep spam out. (I don't have any way of seeing what is stopped
by Nokia's spam filters, but since I get practically no spam, and have had my
email published on the web for a year, my assumption is that it is relatively
good.) With a mailman hosted mailing list on OSGeo, we have no spam filtering
before the mail gets to the mailing list, so even if a personal spam filter
would block it, a mailman list would not.

> I've been impressed by Google Groups spam handling.  I've been owner of a few open lists for over a year and had only a handful of spam moderation requests (that I can safely ignore and messages are discarded).  The vast majority of the real spam gets trashed instead of making it into the moderation queue.

I haven't run these things on Google Groups before, but if the spam filtering
is as good as Gmail, I would expect this would be much less of a lost cause :)

> Anyway, I'm all in favor of using a mailing list solution that meets our workflow needs.  I didn't suggest Google Groups initially because I anticipated opposition.

I'm not opposed to using something that works :) Google Groups seems a better
solution than a mailman list which we lose control of.

> Since nobody has voted down the idea of an archived list, and I think the benefits are worthwhile (having CLA archived somewhere accessible by more than one person), I'm going forward with it.

Yep, seems reasonable.