[OpenLayers-Dev] 3d-accelerated panning

Gregers Gram Rygg gregersrygg at gmail.com
Fri Apr 29 17:29:42 EDT 2011

Awesome :)

I tested on an iPhone 4 and on an "old" iPad. The 3d-accelerated
version is a lot smoother on both. I've noticed that sometimes it lags
for a bit just before you start panning, but I guess this is because
the browser loads the tiles into memory or something. It also happens
for the pinch-zoom trick I posted earlier. Despite the small delay, I
still think the 3d-version is better. Also, I've tested pinch-zoom
with translate3d on an iPad 2, and it's perfectly smooth with no delay
at all :) So I guess the delay on some devices will slowly fade away
as time passes.

This article has a bit more details about the effect of translate3d:
http://www.html5rocks.com/tutorials/speed/html5/

Gregers