[OpenLayers-Dev] Custom layer type?

aboutgeo rainer at no5.at
Thu Feb 17 04:04:22 EST 2011

I'm trying to add a custom layer on top of OpenLayers that shows tags (think
something like  http://tagmaps.research.yahoo.com/worldexplorer.php this )
plus a bit of interactive data visualization. I've done some experimenting
with Raphael.js and the JavaScript InfoVis Toolkit. Worked quite well.
However so far, I placed my graphics in a separate DIV, which I placed on
top of the OpenLayers DIV. Syncing this DIV with the map when
zooming/panning got quite messy (and the mouse event handling, too...)

Ideally, I would like to pack all this stuff into a 'real' OpenLayers layer.
However I don't really know where to start for building this as a custom
layer type. Any pointers much appreciated!

Thanks!
Rainer