[OpenLayers-Dev] Offline Tiles for OpenLayers -reading MbTiles offline in OpenLayers?

Phil Scadden p.scadden at gns.cri.nz
Thu Jun 9 19:29:53 EDT 2011

> Here's a link (below) on my discussion with the MbTiles, developer /
> owner of MapBox about MbTiles and Openlayers.
I had read it but as far as I can see it comes down to the same thing.
If you want to use mbtiles somewhere there has to be code that reads the
SpatialLite file and JS isnt the greatest platform for reading a complex
binary file. Web browsers work strongly against you executing a binary
on local machine from inside the browser for obvious reasons. If you can
install effectively a tileserver on the local machine before running
your app, then you could use that tileserver to do the job. The only
alternative I can see is to code a mbtile reader in JS which doesnt
sound a great idea to me.

And then again you  could convert your image to TMS tiles instead of
mbtiles because its not hard to use TMS tiles offline. Yes bigger and
cumbersome but possibly a lot faster than reading mbtile format in JS.

--
Phil Scadden, Senior Scientist GNS Science Ltd 764 Cumberland St,
Private Bag 1930, Dunedin, New Zealand Ph +64 3 4799663, fax +64 3 477 5232