[OpenLayers-Dev] Issue with TMS - works for 2.7, but not 2.10

Phil Scadden p.scadden at gns.cri.nz
Thu Mar 3 15:13:41 EST 2011

> Yes, this method moved up to the parent (Layer.Grid) instead of existing
> directly on Layer.TMS. As I said in my previous email: your example works
> for me in 2.10 and trunk. What is the problem you are having?
Problem was dangerous mix of trunk and 2.10. I have so many patches for
the 180 line issue that updating openlayers entirely is a chore.

The original problem had to do with weird tiles produced when outside
range of the TMS coverage. I found setting up TMS quite involved.

You need to set layer maxExtent if it doesnt cover the whole map.
Either:
     You need to set up serverResolutions to cover entire area of map
and resolution to cover area covered by the TMS.
Or
    You use MaxResolution and numZoomLevels. However, if the TMS is
baselayer you also need zoomOffset to match map to TMS.

You dont notice these issues till you have multiple TMS area covering
different portions of a larger map.

I wonder if I could document this somewhere?

mapTiler uses a custom getURL and added minZoom,maxZoom properties. I
like this approach as works whether layer is baselayer or not.

--
Phil Scadden, Senior Scientist GNS Science Ltd 764 Cumberland St,
Private Bag 1930, Dunedin, New Zealand Ph +64 3 4799663, fax +64 3 477 5232