[OpenLayers-Dev] WMSCapabilities parsing causing memory spike

KevinGreen24 kgreen at digitalresultsgroup.com
Tue Mar 8 15:33:08 EST 2011

I was recently working on some javascript code which took the text response
from a WMS Get Capabilities call and used OpenLayers' formatting to parse it
into an array of features:

  var CAPformat = new OpenLayers.Format.WMSCapabilities();
  var capabilities = CAPformat.read(wmsString);

I've noticed that the call to .read causes a memory spike of 2-300 MB of
utilized web browser memory that does not get cleaned up, even if .destroy()
is called on the CAPformat object. I have made 3 consecutive calls to this
code and have seen Firefox.exe consume 1.2 GB of memory. Has anyone else
encountered this issue and have a resolution to it?

FYI here's a URL i was testing against to make the get capabilities call:
http://giswebservices.massgis.state.ma.us/geoserver/wms

Thank you,

-KG