[OpenLayers-Dev] MOTION: delete old branches

Eric Lemoine eric.lemoine at camptocamp.com
Wed Oct 12 02:46:26 EDT 2011

On Wednesday, October 12, 2011, Tim Schaub <tschaub at opengeo.org> wrote:
> Another way to look at this is that if we have a lot of commits in a
> release branch that aren't in our master branch, we're doing something
> wrong.  Currently, the diff views are a bit misleading
> (https://github.com/openlayers/openlayers/compare/master...2.6) - that
> represents a number of commits that are in both the 2.6 branch and
> master, but they only look different due to how git-svn works and/or
> how we merged in svn.

That's indeed a good reason to rethink our branching model.

> We have to talk about how we want to handle branching as we approach
> the next release.  Here's a post that I think we've passed around
> before: http://nvie.com/posts/a-successful-git-branching-model/

Thanks for the link. So these guys work with two permanent branches: a
development branch ("develop") and a production branch ("master"). And
they also work with temporary branches: release branches for preparing
x.y releases, and hotfix branches for preparing x.y.z releases.

It seems to me that we could start with a simple model: the "master"
branch for development (as we do today), and temporary release
branches for preparing releases. Temporary release branches are
created from "master" for x.y releases, or from a release tags for
x.y.z releases.

<http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6939940/first-major-release-from-git>
also includes useful information.

+1 from me for deleting the current branches.

Cheers,