[OpenLayers-Dev] Further to client side grouping...

Phil Scadden p.scadden at gns.cri.nz
Mon Sep 19 20:00:29 EDT 2011

I would also point out that there can be a difference between grouping
for user-presentation (eg you may have a group called "infrastructure"
which has data from several different public servers) and grouping that
might be logical from optimisation point of view (all layers on same
service). From a performance point of view it would been better if
optimization of requests to server was happening in the background. To
that end, I would like to see a "logical WMS layer" (what creates with
.Layer object) and a hidden "physical WMS layer" which is grouped by
server. ie When a logical layer is created (or its visibility changed),
then the physical layer list is searched for same server url. If
present, than add the layer; if not create it.

Do you think this would work?