[OpenLayers-Dev] Option to disable virtual vertices in the ModifyFeature control

Casper Børgesen cbo at le34.dk
Thu Feb 9 05:28:38 EST 2012

I have many situations where I would like to modify geometry, but preserve the number of vertices. As far as I can see that is not possible using the current ModifyFeature control.

Would it be inappropriate to incorporate an option to disable/enable the use of virtual vertices?

Looking at the code I only see one crucial place where checking this option is required, in collectVertices() (line 680) in ModifyFeature.js:

                // add virtual vertices in the middle of each edge

                if(geometry.CLASS_NAME != "OpenLayers.Geometry.MultiPoint") {

                // add virtual vertices in the middle of each edge

                if(geometry.CLASS_NAME != "OpenLayers.Geometry.MultiPoint" && control.disableVirtualVertices == false) {

I use this extension in my project, but for version compability I would prefer to have it incorporated in OpenLayers - if it is appropriate J

Regards Casper