[OpenLayers-Dev] ship only with minimal build for 2.12

Tom MacWright tom at macwright.org
Wed Feb 22 13:26:20 EST 2012

(resending, forgot to reply all)

That's a larger problem: OpenLayers, the website, and the docs, doesn't
talk about its modularity and what you do when when you don't have a
component, or how you check to see if you have a component. That docs issue
needs to be fixed, not avoided.

Enough with the filesize comparisons to WMS tiles or whatever; OpenLayers
is a behemoth compared to other Javascript libraries - it's several times
the size of jQuery, Backbone, Leaflet, and whatever else users have tried
out, and for reasons that totally don't matter to 90% of users. OpenLayers
is 177kb gzipped - that's 6x jQuery.