[OpenLayers-Users] OT: http://featureserver.org/

Paul Spencer pagameba at gmail.com
Mon Apr 23 12:43:00 EDT 2007

Chris,

one of the potential uses I have for this technology that comes up
often is the notion of per-user 'redlining', a 'My Maps' kind of
thing that is popular in GYM stuff.  Users can draw their own
annotations on a map and potentially share them, but the annotations
are not actually intended to change the underlying data that makes up
the map.

It is certainly possible to implement these things using custom
server-side code, but it seems to end up being a custom solution each
time.  The FeatureServer technology would standardize the community
on delivering this kind of feature.  It would also fit extremely well
by providing a server-side companion to OpenLayers without burdening
it with server-side technology (since it is all nicely RESTful).

Cheers

Paul