[OpenLayers-Users] Performance Issue with multiple layers

Gregor Mosheh gregor at hostgis.com
Mon Aug 6 11:34:48 EDT 2007

Marc Desharnais wrote:
> I'm using the library from the openlayers website.
> http://www.openlayers.org/api/OpenLayers.js
> I guess it precompiled.
> In fact I don't link the website, I have downloaded the openlayers.js
> and the server and load it in LAN.

Ah, okay. Then it's already compressed. Just checking, as that affects
the load time significantly!

> But regarding the cpu consumption, is it normal that openlayers responds
> better on a faster machine on the client side?

Somewhat. On older machines (1 GHz P-III with no video card worth
mentioning) I find that the maps are jumpy. That goes for Google as well
if I do a lot of overlays on it.

I was originally going to suggest the scientific method: Trim the map
down to 1 layer, see whether it's slow, optimize it. Repeat. Perhaps
your WMS/WFS server isn't doing the best job it can due to how the data
is organized. Perhaps 7 layers is a bit much.

Then again, there's everyone's favorite solution to slowness: TileCache. :)

--
Gregor Mosheh / Greg Allensworth
System Administrator, HostGIS cartographic development & hosting services

  only if you can restore." - AMANDA