[OpenLayers-Users] Shape?s?

Eric Lemoine eric.c2c at gmail.com
Sun Aug 12 08:32:55 EDT 2007

On 8/12/07, Gerd Dowideit <g.dowideit at uq.edu.au> wrote:
> Hi All,

Hi Gerd

> I am new to OL. I am testing OL 2.4. I also have Apache with MS4W map
> server support up and running on two of my machines (Using WAMP and
> Cartoweb). I feel Cartoweb is a bit of an overkill  for what I want to
> do: deliver ESRI shapefiles via web pages to my students for viewing and
> also for minor edit-overlays.
> I had a good look at the OL documentation, but gave up as it seems to be
> targeting the systems developer crowd, not the application developer
> side.
> Here my question, just like Conde's: Are there any HTML/JS code examples
> for

First of all, you can find lots of examples here
<http://www.openlayers.org/dev/examples/>. Note that these examples
correspond to OpenLayers code under current SVN.

> A) connecting to a server like my WAMP/Apache/MS4W setup and

There are several ways to connect to MapServer. For example, to access
to images served from MapServer you can either use the WMS layer or
the MapServer layer. Look at the examples to figure out how.

> B) OL specific code to insert shapefiles into my Map?

I don't know if that answers your question but you cannot access to
shapefiles directly from OpenLayers. You have to have a server
converting your shapefiles to either images or features that
OpenLayers can handle.

Hope this helps...

--
Eric