[OpenLayers-Users] Large Vector Layer

Gregor Mosheh gregor at hostgis.com
Thu Aug 16 14:09:54 EDT 2007

Scott Davis wrote:
> I have a datalayer that has ~10,000 bus stops (points).

WFS is basically like GeoRSS in that it communicates XML about vector
data, and that the browser must decipher the XML. Differrence 1 is that
it can describe more than a point; difference 2 is that it's even more
verbose and therefore XML parsing is even slower.

So if you're in a circumstance (say, zoomed out to the city-wide view)
where you'll want to see 1,000 points or even 500, you probably won't
enjoy the effect.

This has been a thorn in my side for a few years, wanting to use WFS but
finding it impractical for any significant scales of use.

At FRUGOS a few months back where I met you, I presented my solution
when I had the same issue in Google Maps. My solution was to use a WMS
layer, then have a click handler that would do the real magic:

1. Grab the data for the point, e.g. GetFeatureInfo to GeoServer
2. Draw a popup box anchored at the appropriate location on the map,
containing the data.

The visual effect is that they clicked and got a popup, but you get to
bypass the overhead involved in true Features. I know that OL can do all
of the above. For (1) there's a Freemap of the CIA Factbook
demonstrating click-to-query code. Part (2) should be very easy once you
have the data and have generated the HTML.

--
Gregor Mosheh / Greg Allensworth
System Administrator, HostGIS cartographic development & hosting services

  only if you can restore." - AMANDA