[OpenLayers-Users] Large Vector Layer

Chris Holmes cholmes at openplans.org
Thu Aug 16 14:14:38 EDT 2007

Gregor Mosheh wrote:
> Scott Davis wrote:
>
>> I have a datalayer that has ~10,000 bus stops (points).
>>

> WFS is basically like GeoRSS in that it communicates XML about vector
> data, and that the browser must decipher the XML. Differrence 1 is that
> it can describe more than a point; difference 2 is that it's even more
> verbose and therefore XML parsing is even slower.

Well WFS can return things other than XML, at least for getting
features.  GeoServer now has a geojson plugin.

> So if you're in a circumstance (say, zoomed out to the city-wide view)
> where you'll want to see 1,000 points or even 500, you probably won't
> enjoy the effect.
>
> This has been a thorn in my side for a few years, wanting to use WFS but
> finding it impractical for any significant scales of use.

This is true, I agree that WFS does not solve this problem.  The spec
authors may say that it's not the problem they were wanting to solve.  I
personally think it's a very important problem, but will probably take a
new spec.

Chris