[OpenLayers-Users] Why are my controls not showing up?

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Fri Dec 14 07:29:12 EST 2007

On Thu, Dec 13, 2007 at 10:51:44PM -0700, Gregor Mosheh wrote:
> Christopher Schmidt wrote:
> >>Some of my controls aren't showing up. Any ideas why?
>
> >They are meant to be used within a control panel only.
>
> Ah, I see how you mean. Thanks for the tip.
>
> Is there a particular reason why these controls are meant only for use
> within a Panel, whereas others (zoombar etc) are intended for use
> directly in the Map?

Any control which can be turned on/off is likely to be best developed as
a Control to be used within a panel. However, Control.Panels are recent
-- 2.4 -- and we didn't go back and clean up a lot of things. For
example, the PanZoom control should be a control.panel as well -- the
panzoombar can't be because it has the 'bar' bit which screws things up,
but control.panels really are the right way to go, and we are trying to
move towards them for all new developments.

Christopher Schmidt
MetaCarta