[OpenLayers-Users] Different behavior of WFS layer in IE 7 andFirefox

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Tue Dec 18 16:39:31 EST 2007

On Wed, Dec 19, 2007 at 08:19:35AM +1100, bradleyspencer wrote:
> Christian,

(I'm Christopher. If you like, you can shorten that to Chris.)

> I have been able to overlay vectors from a WFS request over GoogleMaps using
> default EPSG:4326 in IE7 quite OK. When doing this in FF it is overlayed but
> is clearly not in the right position/orientation/scale therefore projection
> problem).
>
> I have not used sphericalMercator as I need to overlay data from WMS
> services that do not support EPSG:900913.
>
> CubeWerx supports this projection but other remote services that I am using
> do not so I am intending to cascade through CubeWerx WMS to handle this
> projection.
>
> But I do not understand why if it works in IE it does not also work in FF
> the same?

Because Firefox and IE use totally different rendering engines -- and to
make it work in FF, we have to accept a 40% performance decrease. Given
the option, we decided against supporting it, and instead pursued
spherical mercator, which also solved the problems of overlaying WMS
data. (Since overlaying WMS data on Google doesn't actually work without
spherical mercator either.)

Christopher Schmidt
MetaCarta