[OpenLayers-Users] How to understand and use zoom levels?

Eric Lemoine eric.c2c at gmail.com
Wed Dec 19 14:36:49 EST 2007

On Dec 19, 2007 7:51 PM, Zhanna Maher <zhanna at planetzhanna.com> wrote:
> Hello all,

Hello

> Please excuse my simple questions; I am new to Openlayers, and
> Javascript and GIS in general.
>
> I am wondering if anyone can offer me a source for information on zoom
> levels, scales, and resolution, or possibly some more examples of using

This wiki page explains how to use scales/resolutions/etc. in OpenLayers.
<http://trac.openlayers.org/wiki/SettingZoomLevels>.

You can also check this example:
<http://www.openlayers.org/dev/examples/zoomLevels.html>.

> the zoom bar in a functioning Openlayers project.  I think I have

The aforementioned example uses a zoom bar. Take a look at this page's
source code to understand how to set up the zoom bar.

> understood some of the basics of Openlayers through exploring the
> examples on the site, but I don't understand how to use these concepts.

Just look at these examples' source code to understand how to use the
various things OpenLayers provides.

--
Eric