[OpenLayers-Users] Google/Yahoo map projection WMS overlay question

bradleyspencer brad at cubewerx.com.au
Sun Dec 23 16:44:43 EST 2007

Andrew,

As I understand it if you specify the base map in sphericalMercator and wish
to see WMS layers overlayed at both large and small scales correctly, your
WMS server must have the capability to serve up data in EPSG:900913. So you
need to look at your GetCapabilities document of the WMS and determine if it
supports this projection. If it does not, then I would suggest you do not
use sphericalMercator at all and just overlay in EPSG:4326 and remember that
the alignment drifts off when at small scales. Alternatively, (Long shot)
look for a cascading WMS server that does support this projection and ask
the custodians to register your WMS in their service so you can cascade
through their WMS letting it do the retransformation for you.

Hope this helps
.

Brad Spencer